6 Hours (Full Day)
£250 + VAT
Travel cost and subsistence charges may be incurred dependant on location of training.
We do offer group or organisational discounts on application
An additional charge of £15 + VAT per learner is also made for certification for OCN accredited training.
(Correct at time of going to press)
This course could be run at our Training Centre in Rainham, Kent, but is typically run at client locations throughout the UK.
Assessment & Award
The course assessment is a short exercise aimed at ensuring staff have gained the necessary knowledge. On successful completion candidates will be awarded the appropriate certificate.
Welcome and Introductions
- The Airport Exercise
- What is Challenging behaviour and why it sometimes happens
- Who can present with challenging behaviour
- Types of challenging behaviour and possible reasons
- Communication strategies
- The communication chain
- How memory works
- The relationship between person centred care and managing behaviours that challenge
- Strategies for managing behaviours that challenge
- Issues connected with:
- Risk assessment
- The environment
- What is violence?
- Staff behaviours and attitudes
- Prediction and Prevention
- Emergency plans
- Recording and Reporting and what to do after an incident
- Use of Restraint
Evaluations and Close
By the end of the session participants will have:
- Gained an understanding of what challenging behaviour is
- Discusses who can present with challenging behaviour and the possible reasons behind the behaviour
- Explored the importance of risk assessment in the context of challenging behaviour
- Gained an understanding of the importance of identifying the triggers for behaviours
- Discussed how to respond appropriately to challenging behaviours and to keep themselves and others safe in these circumstances
- Established correct ways to respond after an incident and the importance of the accurate recording of incidents
- Discussed the use of physical restraint
- Be able to understand and recall the major teaching points from the session